It’s hard to believe that a year ago I was getting ready to head to Shortcourse 2012. I am so glad I went. As this year’s new and not-so-new admin head to Shortcourse 2013, I thought I’d repost some of my Big Ideas from Shortcourse 2012. Relax & enjoy your week.
From Better is Possible July 14, 2012
- It’s not OR it’s AND! It’s management ANDleadership…
- Start with the whole and add to it.
- There is a masculine and feminine side to leadership. Be sure to develop both sides.
- Truth and Reconciliation – we must move forward
- While we wait, we live. Wisdom, guts, inspiration…that’s the work.
- You cannot drive change. Change comes through culture.
- We communicate by what we don’t say AND what we do say.
- Communication is a partnership – it’s more important to connect than to be clear.
- We are aiming for ‘deep learning’. That’s where the transformational learning takes place.
- Conflict is not a contest. Competitive Carol needs to write this one on her wall!
- Nobody starts out finished.
There was so much more; pages and pages of notes, live binder, big heavy hard copy binders. Each speaker connecting with my core belief that better is possible. The binders will be put away for a bit but the big ideas continue to swirl in my heart and mind. I’m going to sit with those a while.
But now, it’s time to fill my summer with grandchildren visits, holidaying with my daughter, family reunions, and if mother nature cooperates, some fun in the sun!
Happy holidays, friends!